Experiencing a car wreck can be one of the most terrifying and stressful ordeals of a person’s life, especially if there are injuries involved. Most people are unaware of what to do after an auto accident, and may make costly mistakes when in the moment. Proper preparation is key in handling the situation correctly in case the need for an auto accident lawyer arises.
The Right Information
Whether you are in a fender bender or a rollover, you should handle all car accidents the same way. You need to make sure that you have enough auto accident information to fully explain the wreck and all those involved. The following steps can help you remember what you should do immediately following any incident in which you are involved.
- Asses the injuries of you and those involved in the accident.
- Turn on hazard lights and move your vehicles, if possible.
- Collect all of the personal information from those involved, including names, phone numbers, and license plates.
- Write down notes, including specifics about any damage to all vehicles.
- Exchange insurance information with any other drivers involved.
- Contact an auto accident lawyer, if necessary.
Armed with the essential information, you can protect yourself and build a case in order to receive compensation.
The moments following a car crash can be chaotic. It is in your best interest to stay as calm and collected as possible while dealing with other drivers and any law enforcement. The way you handle the aftermath of a wreck can affect any claims that you may end up filing in the future.
Contacting an Attorney
The best way to ensure that you understand what to do after an auto accident is to speak with a lawyer who has experience with car accidents. If you end up needing to report a claim, it is helpful to have a relationship with a professional who you trust. Call Sloat & Nicholson, P.C., at 303-447-1144 today for a free case consultation.