These Simple Car Safety Tips Could Save Your Life
Auto accidents don’t end with the crash. There is also the inconvenience of car repair or replacement. Injuries too can have lingering effects, or cause temporary or permanent disability.
There’s an inherent risk in sharing the road if other drivers are driving while distracted or impaired. Smart drivers can minimize these risks and the chance of a crash by utilizing safe driving practices.
Before Getting in The Car
An external car check can make sure you and your car arrive at your destination safely. If any of your car’s systems are compromised it can put you at risk on the road.
- Tires: blowouts can cause a driver to lose control and crash. Tires should be properly inflated with minimal wear. Check for cuts and bulges, things that could signal an impending blowout.
- Windows: a driver needs to be able to see clearly. The windshield should be clean and streak free. During the winter months defrost and remove all snow and ice.
- Leaking Fluids: check beneath the vehicle to make sure there’s nothing leaking. A sudden breakdown can be made much worse if it causes a wreck.
- Lights: if your brake lights or turn signals don’t work you can easily cause an accident. Get in the car and test the turn signal and brakes.
- Gauges: Familiarize yourself with the owner’s’ manual to learn what your dashboard gauges indicate.
On The Road
Distracted driving is a major cause of automobile accidents. Smartphones are an irresistible temptation. Turn the phone off while driving or place it out of reach until you reach your destination.
Impaired driving doesn’t just refer to drinking and drug use, it can also be when a driver is too tired to react quickly on the road, or is taking a medication with drowsiness as a side effect.
Take a defensive driving course to train your reflexes to react to unexpected hazards on the road and erratic behavior from other drivers. Obey all posted speed limits and depart early enough so you are not rushing on the road. Signal and slowly change lanes, making sure to check all blind spots. Rushed driving, cutting in front of other vehicles, improper signaling and weaving between lanes can cause an accident.
You can’t control others on the road, but if someone else causes an accident that injures you, a accident lawyer in Boulder can help get you the compensation you deserve.
Articles and information to keep you up to date on personal injury news.
Podcast Feature: Colorado Trial Lawyer Connection
John Duguay - Triumph through Client Connection In a recent episode of the Colorado Trial Lawyer Connection podcast, hosted by Keith Fuicelli, Boulder-based personal injury lawyer John Duguay
What Damages Are Recoverable from a Dog Bite?
Dogs aren’t just pets. Many people consider dogs to be members of their family. So, it’s hard to think they can ever cause harm. But unfortunately, they do.
What Happens When You Get Hit by a Drunk Driver in Colorado?
Getting hit by a drunk driver or losing a loved one in a DUI accident can be overwhelming. You may feel isolated and not know where to turn.