What Questions Should You Ask in a Free Legal Consultation?
A free legal consultation is an opportunity to understand better the legal issues surrounding your claim and the options available for pursuing compensation for your injuries. Most consultations are short and done over the phone, so it is important to have your questions prepared before your appointment. The following are some of the most important questions you will want to ask the attorney during the call.
- What is the attorney’s background? For how long have they practiced law, and do they have experience representing similar claims in court?
- Who are the attorney’s clients? Does the attorney typically represent large corporations or individuals?
- What’s their track record with similar cases? It’s alright to be blunt when asking this question because you want to know that your attorney has the skills and knowledge to secure a favorable judgment.
- Who is on the legal team? Does the attorney have the support of paralegals, secretaries, expert witnesses, accident reconstruction specialists, etc.?
- What’s their legal strategy? How will the attorney approach your case and present it to the court? Similarly, it’s advisable to ask whether arbitration or another out-of-court option is a better option than litigation.
- How are expenses billed? You will want to know the attorney’s fees and the expenses you will be required to pay. In most personal injury cases, attorneys take these on a contingency fee basis. This means that clients pay nothing until the settlement is received. However, you should never assume this and should confirm it during your free legal consultation.
- What is your communication style? It is important to have open, honest, and expedient communication with your attorney. The more you know about their communication style, the better. You want to choose an attorney whom you are comfortable speaking with and whom you trust to represent your claim effectively.
- Is the case winnable? Not every claim can prevail in court. Each case is different, and there may be issues surrounding your case that the attorney can discuss with you. You will want to fully understand the challenges you may face and the steps that are necessary to prevail in your claim.
We encourage you to contact Sloat, Nicholson, & Hoover, P.C. at (303) 447-1144 to schedule a legal consultation with our team. It is our pleasure to discuss your claim and answer the questions you have for our legal team.
Articles and information to keep you up to date on personal injury news.
How Do You Calculate Rehabilitation Costs?
Colorado statutes allow motor vehicle accident survivors to pursue compensation for damages, including personal injuries and the ensuing rehabilitation costs. It is crucial to correctly calculate these, because
What To Do When Your Classic Car Suffers Catastrophic Damage
You've worked hard to restore your classic car. Whether it's a Model A, Mustang, Porsche, or another ride, your labor and love have restored it to glory and
Knowing the Law Is the Best Way To Avoid Speeding Tickets (And Accidents!)
Speed limits exist to keep motorists and pedestrians safe. Because different roads and routes have different hazards, the posted speed limits vary significantly. In Colorado, ignorance of the