What Questions Should You Ask in a Free Legal Consultation?
A free legal consultation is an opportunity to understand better the legal issues surrounding your claim and the options available for pursuing compensation for your injuries. Most consultations are short and done over the phone, so it is important to have your questions prepared before your appointment. The following are some of the most important questions you will want to ask the attorney during the call.
- What is the attorney’s background? For how long have they practiced law, and do they have experience representing similar claims in court?
- Who are the attorney’s clients? Does the attorney typically represent large corporations or individuals?
- What’s their track record with similar cases? It’s alright to be blunt when asking this question because you want to know that your attorney has the skills and knowledge to secure a favorable judgment.
- Who is on the legal team? Does the attorney have the support of paralegals, secretaries, expert witnesses, accident reconstruction specialists, etc.?
- What’s their legal strategy? How will the attorney approach your case and present it to the court? Similarly, it’s advisable to ask whether arbitration or another out-of-court option is a better option than litigation.
- How are expenses billed? You will want to know the attorney’s fees and the expenses you will be required to pay. In most personal injury cases, attorneys take these on a contingency fee basis. This means that clients pay nothing until the settlement is received. However, you should never assume this and should confirm it during your free legal consultation.
- What is your communication style? It is important to have open, honest, and expedient communication with your attorney. The more you know about their communication style, the better. You want to choose an attorney whom you are comfortable speaking with and whom you trust to represent your claim effectively.
- Is the case winnable? Not every claim can prevail in court. Each case is different, and there may be issues surrounding your case that the attorney can discuss with you. You will want to fully understand the challenges you may face and the steps that are necessary to prevail in your claim.
We encourage you to contact Sloat, Nicholson, & Hoover, P.C. at (303) 447-1144 to schedule a legal consultation with our team. It is our pleasure to discuss your claim and answer the questions you have for our legal team.
Articles and information to keep you up to date on personal injury news.
Will Spinal Cord Injuries Ever Be Healed?
Spinal cord injuries are devastating. The injury's physical and emotional impact leaves many wondering whether treatment will restore their mobility and quality of life. With nearly 18,000 new spinal
Are “Extraordinary Circumstances” Creating Extraordinary Risks for Colorado Motorists?
Under normal circumstances, drivers in Colorado are required to submit to either a breathalyzer, blood test, or "refusal" when law enforcement officers suspect a motorist is impaired. These
What Does “Pain and Suffering” Mean?
Motor vehicle accidents, medical malpractice, slips and falls, ski accidents, and other events can cause serious, potentially life-changing personal injuries that can cause considerable pain and suffering. Many