Wrongful Death Lawsuits in Colorado
Like every other state, Colorado has a specific set of laws and guidelines that will apply to wrongful deathsuits and wrongful death damages.
What Is A Wrongful Death Claim?
A wrongful death civil claim is an attempt to establish negligence of a person or a company for the death of someone. In order to validate a wrongful death, the plaintiff must demonstrate that the death was caused by negligence, intentional behavior, or even recklessness.
Who Is Allowed To File For Wrongful Death Damages?
In Colorado, a lawsuit for wrongful death damages can be filed by one of three types of family members:
– A Surviving Spouse: If the spouse is the only loved one left, the spouse can file for wrongful death damages within the first year after the accident.
– The Children: If the loved one who passed away does not have a spouse, but they do have children, the children can file a claim up through the second year after the death.
– The Parents: If the person that passed on does not have a spouse or children, the deceased person’s parents or guardians can file for wrongful death damages.
Wrongful Death Damages In Colorado
In a wrongful death case in Colorado, monetary damages or compensation that may be awarded to a plaintiff include the following:
– Wages or other forms of compensation that the person would have made if they had lived.
– Benefits lost, such as insurance
– Loss of love, love of comfort, loss of companionship, etc.
The person seeking the wrongful death damages can also seek out compensation for suffering and losses such as:
– Compensation for the funeral and burial
– Compensation for medical bills
Time Limits In Colorado
In Colorado wrongful death suits must be filed within 2 years of the date of death. If you have a loved one who died due to the actions of another, and you would like to seek monetary damages, it’s in your best interest to contact a lawyer to look at your case. Your lawyer will sit down with you to learn more about the case and help walk you through the case as they gather evidence and help with your case.
Articles and information to keep you up to date on personal injury news.
Don’t Get Soaked by Premises Liability Lawsuits as You Lounge by Your Pool
Hot tubs and swimming pools are fabulous features to have at home along the Front Range. However, homeowners can end up in hot water with these attractive nuisances
How Caps on Wrongful Death Damages Impact Your Award
It is never easy to lose a loved one. It is even harder when you depended upon the individual's income to support your family. When pursuing wrongful death
Watch What You Post When Pursuing a Personal Injury Settlement
In the 1940s, they used to say, "loose lips sink ships." In 2020, that needs updating to "loose posts sink settlements." When pursuing a personal injury settlement, a