Wrongful Death Lawsuits in Colorado
Like every other state, Colorado has a specific set of laws and guidelines that will apply to wrongful deathsuits and wrongful death damages.
What Is A Wrongful Death Claim?
A wrongful death civil claim is an attempt to establish negligence of a person or a company for the death of someone. In order to validate a wrongful death, the plaintiff must demonstrate that the death was caused by negligence, intentional behavior, or even recklessness.
Who Is Allowed To File For Wrongful Death Damages?
In Colorado, a lawsuit for wrongful death damages can be filed by one of three types of family members:
– A Surviving Spouse: If the spouse is the only loved one left, the spouse can file for wrongful death damages within the first year after the accident.
– The Children: If the loved one who passed away does not have a spouse, but they do have children, the children can file a claim up through the second year after the death.
– The Parents: If the person that passed on does not have a spouse or children, the deceased person’s parents or guardians can file for wrongful death damages.
Wrongful Death Damages In Colorado
In a wrongful death case in Colorado, monetary damages or compensation that may be awarded to a plaintiff include the following:
– Wages or other forms of compensation that the person would have made if they had lived.
– Benefits lost, such as insurance
– Loss of love, love of comfort, loss of companionship, etc.
The person seeking the wrongful death damages can also seek out compensation for suffering and losses such as:
– Compensation for the funeral and burial
– Compensation for medical bills
Time Limits In Colorado
In Colorado wrongful death suits must be filed within 2 years of the date of death. If you have a loved one who died due to the actions of another, and you would like to seek monetary damages, it’s in your best interest to contact a lawyer to look at your case. Your lawyer will sit down with you to learn more about the case and help walk you through the case as they gather evidence and help with your case.
Articles and information to keep you up to date on personal injury news.
Staying Safe While Motorcycling on Wet Roads
Colorado is a fabulous state for motorcyclists. The scenic views and legendary routes that cross the state are some of the most beautiful in the country. But, those
What Happens When a Passenger Suffers Injuries in a Collision?
It is very common for passengers to suffer injuries in a motor vehicle accident. When a collision occurs, many different parties may be responsible for passenger injuries. In
Could Intelligent Speed Assist Prevent Teen Speeding Accidents?
Is it possible for Intelligent Speed Assist systems to prevent accidents caused by speeding teenagers? As cars become more technologically advanced, this is a question that automakers and