Avoiding the Pitfalls of a Senior Slip and Fall
Senior slips happen to everyone. A forgotten name. A misplaced key. But, a missed step can lead to a slip and fall that can cause serious injuries or even death. Even on the same level, slips and falls can cause TBI’s, broken bones, and other injuries. As such, the best way to prevent injury is to take proactive measures to make sure that you don’t miss a step by taking the following steps.
1. Exercise. Staying physically fit helps keep bones and muscles healthy. It also helps keep reflexes sharp so that the body can react quickly when it’s off-balance.
2. Declutter the Home. Tchotchkes and other debris can create tripping hazards in the home. Making sure hallways, stairwells, and each room in the house is clutter-free will reduce the number of obstacles you need to navigate.
3. Install Assistive Living Devices. Handrails on halls and stairs are lifesavers. It’s also a good idea to install floor lights and non-slip flooring. It may also be advisable to invest in a wheelchair, walker, or elevator to reduce a slip and fall risk further.
4. Change the Lights. Installing brighter, higher wattage lightbulbs will enhance visibility within and outside of the home. As a bonus, this will also enhance home security.
5. Watch the Meds Closely. Many over-the-counter and prescription medications can cause dizziness and drowsiness. Avoiding walking, cooking, cleaning, etc. after taking them can help reduce the risk of injury.
6. Wear Shoes at Home. Wearing shoes with solid tread can increase traction on carpet, tile, wood, and other flooring materials.
7. Remember, You’re Not 20 Anymore. Physical abilities change as we grow older. What you could do at 20, you can’t do at 80. Don’t push yourself to mount stools or carry more than you are physically able to handle.
Finally, strongly consider installing Smart Home tech. If a slip and fall occurs, prompt medical response is crucial. However, it may not be possible to reach the phone. Installing a Google Home, Amazon Alexa, etc. makes it possible to pick up the phone and reach emergency responders even when you’re lying on the floor.
Slip and fall accidents are serious whether you’re 15 or 55. At Sloat, Nicholson & Hoover, P.C., we represent clients in Boulder and along the Front Range. We encourage you to contact us to discuss your claim with our slip and fall attorneys.
Articles and information to keep you up to date on personal injury news.
Compensation for a Traumatic Brain Injury
If you or a loved one has suffered a traumatic brain injury due to another party’s negligence, you can pursue reimbursement for your damages and losses. It’s crucial
What Happens When You Get Into an Accident with a UPS Truck in Colorado?
We’ve all seen them. The big, brown UPS trucks with the iconic logo are everywhere. With so many delivery trucks on Colorado roads and streets, the risk of
What Do I Do If I Was in an Accident with a FedEx Truck in Colorado?
If you are in an accident with a FedEx truck, try to remain calm and clear-headed. It will make everything that follows more manageable and less stressful. And