Car Accident Facts Colorado Drivers Should Know
Summer is here, gas prices are low, and it’s the perfect time to take a road trip. However, before you hit the road, there are some car accident facts you should know. Knowing these facts can help ensure you have a safe trip over the river, through the woods, and back to your front door.
Deaths on Colorado Roads in 2020
- In Denver, 17 people have died in motor vehicle accidents. Of these, 5 involved an impaired driver.
- This year, 13 people have died in accidents in Aurora. Of these, 6 involved an impaired driver.
- 15 have died in Colorado Springs. Of these, 4 involved an impaired driver.
- In Boulder, 1 person has died in a motor vehicle accident.
- Across the state, there have been 99 fatal accidents that have killed 104 people. Of these, 31 accidents that killed 34 people involved an impaired driver.
Holidays Are Anything But Safe
It is easy to feel safe when you are having fun. However, holidays are considerably more dangerous than the average travel day. When traveling immediately before, during, or after a holiday, extra vigilance is always a good idea as the following 2018 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration data shows.
- In 2018, 194 people died during the 1.5 days surrounding Independence Day.
- During the 3.5 days surrounding Labor Day in 2018, 414 people died in motor vehicle accidents.
- During the 4.5 days surrounding Thanksgiving in 2018, 432 people died.
- And, during the 11.5 days between Christmas and New Years in 2018, 1,093 people lost their lives in motor vehicle accidents.
Seat Belts Are More Than Decorations
Colorado law requires all passengers in a motor vehicle to buckle up for every trip. Last year, 90.7% of motorists and passengers wore their seat belts. Further, seat belts saved 14,955 lives.
Still not convinced that you need to wear a seat belt? In 2017, 47% of people who died in motor vehicle accidents were not wearing a seat belt at the time of their fatal accident. Of the 13-15 year olds who died, 54% were not wearing seat belts when the crash occurred.
The team at Sloat, Nicholson, & Hoover, P.C. want you to have a safe, fun, and festive year. However, accidents happen, and when they do, you can contact us at (303) 447-1144 to discuss your legal options following a motor vehicle accident.
Articles and information to keep you up to date on personal injury news.
How to Calculate the Value of a Spinal Cord Injury
If you suffered a spinal cord injury due to the fault of another person, you have a right to pursue them for compensation for your damages. A spinal
How to Get Your Longmont Accident Report
Unfortunately, car accidents happen when you least expect them. If you suffered injuries in a car accident, you have a right to recover compensation against the at-fault driver.
Is a Dashcam Helpful in My Car Accident Claim?
Should I Get a Dashcam? Dashcam video of another driver hitting your vehicle can be a dramatic and powerful proof of fault. A dashcam can help identify a