Fall Precautions Every Senior Should Take
Falls are a leading cause of serious injury for senior citizens. Proactively applying an ounce of fall precautions is far better than taking a pound of pills after a fall occurs. Each of the following are tried and trusted methods that go a long way towards reducing the risk of a slip and fall at home.
- Declutter the Home. Removing clutter including extra furniture, boxes, plant stands, etc. does more than create a more open floor plan; it removes objects that are easily tripped over.
- Install Non-Slip Flooring. Bathrooms and kitchens are common places for slip and fall accidents. Investing in non-slip flooring within these rooms is one of the most effective fall precautions you can take.
- Buy New Shoes. Seniors should not wear high-heels or open-toed shoes such as sandals and flip flops. These don’t usually have reliable traction and they can easily catch on stairs, door jams, patios, etc. which can cause a fall. Well-fitting shoes with laces or velcro straps provide the greatest degree of stability when walking.
- Invest in a Walker or a Wheelchair. One of the easiest fall precautions is to minimize walking as much as possible. Walkers and wheelchairs can help seniors maintain their mobility while significantly reducing fall risk.
- Be Prepared. If you live alone, make sure you have a cell phone or emergency alarm on you at all times. This ensures that if you, or your loved one falls, help can be contacted quickly.
- Move Onto One Floor. If you live in a multi-level home, move onto one floor in the home where you can cook, bathe, and sleep. This reduces trips up and down stairs where many slip and fall accidents occur.
- Pay for Snow/Ice Removal. It’s easy to slip and fall on sidewalks and driveways around Boulder in the winter months. Rather than risk an accident that can break a hip or fracture an arm, pay the neighbor’s kids to shovel the walk and de-ice the driveway.
- Pay Attention to Medications. Some medications can cause drowsiness and dizziness. Always know the side-effects of all prescription and over-the-counter medications and minimize activity after taking drugs that can increase the risk of a fall.
For more about fall precautions and slip and fall accidents in Boulder, contact Sloat, Nicholson & Hoover, P.C. at (303) 447-1144. It’s our pleasure to answer your questions and offer advice you can use to protect your health and safety.
Articles and information to keep you up to date on personal injury news.
Even More Reasons To Secure a Second Opinion for Medical Care
You have nothing if you don't have your health. It is your most valuable asset, and you have every right to protect it as best as possible. When
What Should You Bring To a Free Consultation?
A free consultation is an opportunity to meet with a personal injury attorney in Boulder to discuss the facts of your case and the potential for recovering compensation
Protecting Children From Sports Injuries As School Starts Up
It has been a while since kids have enjoyed organized sporting activities at school. But, as the school year starts, it is a good idea to give your kids